Thursday, October 15, 2015

Not Even 2am

As per usual, I'm showing a large amount of gumption in the early innings of this blog sass. I'm still sort of floating around what ever the purpose of this blog is. So in addition to an actual sketchblog, I'm going to bite Kevin Smith a bit and make it a bit of a log how my time is actually spent.

Shop was getting prepped today for the gallery show this weekend, in conjunction with Second Hand Hounds. Aside from a few quote tattoos in the evening, the day was spent plotting out a full torso piece (mainly for fun), as well as some other flash offerings. Long day, lots of busy work and little things; but by no means a bad one.

Also on deck today was the poster for this weekends midnight movie. I've been working on and off with the Uptown Theatre here in Minneapolis, promotional posters for their Midnight Madness showings. It initially started as a nifty cross promo that allowed me to keep working on portraiture; which I was just getting into at the time. Coupled with an old familial tie to the establishment and my sweet tooth for poster design, seemed like a win/win. Now, I find myself spending an awful lot of time thinking about how to out due the previous weeks.

This weekend is The Shining by Stanley Kubrick. It's a favorite of mine, and an intensely rich visual flick. Having recently serial-rewatched a documentary on the underlying themes of the movie (re:insomnia), I immediately knew what I wanted to do for the poster. Execution was quick, and I'm quite happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment